www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Massive Terrain Projects « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Massive Terrain Projects Reply with quote

I've been sitting here trying to visualize various ways to generate a project like mine in Grome efficiently.

My level design team consists of 3-4 members. I currently am expecting approximately 445 individual heightfield maps (I am looking at ways to reduce this to something significanlty more manageable).

Can other projects be referenced into the current open project to ensure continuity between all zones/maps? I assume I can open a project done by someone else and simply add more Zones. This would seem to be problematic given that most of us have modest machine specs. I would assume loading 445 'zones' would be very taxing to a modest machine (1.5gb ram, p4 3.0).

Is Grome able to manage such a project?
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can edit massive terrains on low spec machines. Professional version will have a built-in special swapping system that will allow you to discard portions of the map to disk so you have as loaded only the ones you are working on. More than that, when you load a map which was saved with many of its zones in swapped state (unloaded) the editor will not load these zones until you request it. So basically all you need on your system is enough memory to contain the zones you are working on.

Unfortunately, for the first version, you will not have a built-in option to merge 2 scenes but this can be done with a special plug-in that you can create with the SDK. Another option to merge 2 scenes would be the manual way. As you can see from a scene structure there is a directory called Terrain. In that directory every terrain zone is contained in a separate file. You can exchange these files between team members but it may be a tricky operation since the project file must also be synchronized. Again we can help you there since the files are XML text files and have a fairy simple structure.

Regards,
Licu
makit3d
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are using an SVN for our content and I am not sure if it has a checkout feature (TortoiseSVN). If it does I would assume this would help with the task of sychronizing all the project files given that we don't have a plug-in but do provide instructions.

This would probably be the most important feature, for me, next to the Zones feature already present.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVN system does indeed synchronize the work of multiple team members. But what I was referring to was the fact that inside the Grome editor there is no direct way of merging the work from 2 people. You can do that with a Grome plug-in or manually by combining the map files.

But, yes, we could consider to offer direct support for versioning systems (like SVN, CVS etc) so you can check in / check out your work directly from the editor. But this is not a feature that I see implemented in the near future.

Jump to: