www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Questions.. « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
sdkcodemonkey
PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Questions.. Reply with quote

i've been perusing the forums looking for things good and bad to get a feeling for issues folks might or might not be having with the software and more importantly, the SDK.

might i suggest that the announcements about new releases and their associative changelogs be made viewable to all, so that those of us still in the diligence stage (and as such do not have a lic or login to private areas yet) might have as much information about the current state of the code as possible to allow us to make the best decision possible?

the general feeling i get is that this software is still in the growing stages but is very capable as is, and can be of great help to projects already in progress.

a few of the areas of concern for us, would be roads/rivers etc and exporting/importing. are the roads/rivers now implemented and working? the last post i read about it, it said something about being done by the end of the year, meaning dec 2007?

obviously the way textures will look in the scene will vary based upon engine usage, however i was curious about the ability to use custom shaders in the editor. is that possible? to use custom water shaders etc?

does the editor have the ability to export the complete scene in it's entirety (including all objects) even via a custom exporter with the SDK or would it just be the terrain geometry and textures?

being a licensee of speedtree, i understand that you can utilize placeholders for the tree models (since there does not exist a lic between idv and quad), but can this also be extended to utilize placeholders for speedgrass and it's placement in a scene as well? similar to the hero engine's editor and it's ability to 'paint' grass?

ultimately we'd like to have as complete a solution as possible in one application instead of 15 different apps Wink

thanks
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The vast majority of updates that are not public (the ones that are not made to the demo) are mainly small issues fixes that are not affecting the demo. In general, when major updates are made, we also update the demo.

The software is stable, it is in used by professional studios for over 10 months now. Of course it is changing, as any software is, but we also keep 100% backward compatibility.

The river/roads system is still in work. We've initially estimated the end of the year as release for version 2.0 (but we didn't promise a certain date). In the mean time, some resources had to be used for other Grome related purposes (customizations and engine integrations). This in the end will also be beneficial for version 2.0 since many of these features will turn up in this version. Again, I cannot tell you a certain date for 2.0 but we are still working on it.

As it is now, you can use custom shaders in editor for objects (including GLSL shaders). But you will have to manually write the shader code (there is no built-in editor). As for terrain layers, I think custom shaders are also possible but it is somewhat harder to make them work (I have to check on that to be sure). Custom materials is a feature that will make full appearance in version 2.

With the SDK you can export all the scene elements: terrain zone geometry, layer configurations, mapping, textures, objects placement, templates, their geometry, material assignment, custom properties assigned to objects etc. It is all in the demo (it contains the SDK documentation).

As for speedtree, yes we have clients using it with Grome by using replacement trees. As for speed grass, you can use normal color layers that, at export time, are converted to speed grass blades distributions. In the future, we will also have a custom vegetation solution built-in Grome but I cannot give much details for now.

Having a complete solution is understandable. Eventually Grome will grow to be flexible enough to be used for any tasks.

Thank you for your interest in our program,
Adrian L.
sdkcodemonkey
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

understood Wink

however my question about the updates/fixes was more directed at the changelogs themselves and not the actual updates, to get a feeling on what's been added/changed/fixed etc.

Jump to: