www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

texture layers « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
greedo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: texture layers Reply with quote

It's me again!

I've just noticed that after I attach a texture to the selection, the polygon count doubles Shocked
Is that something in the way grome counts polygons, or am I going to have to use a maximum of two textures from now on?

Sorry to give you this much problems. Twisted Evil
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grome uses multipass rendering to to represent the texture layers (it renders the terrain geometry for every layer of texture). So to see the real polycount you need to render the scene with Untextured mode (settable per viewport).

In a real-time engine you can collapse multiple layers in one single pass (depending on the video hardware the game is running on). Grome, being an editing application that must run on a variety of hardware and on data that can be changed any time, cannot enforce a perfect optimization scheme (but it is using geometry LOD and frustum culling nevertheless).

So the number of layers you can use really depends on your engine and your specific hardware target. From my past experience with a good terrain engine you can use up to 8-9 texture layers. Again, check with your technical director and lead programmer (or perform tests directly on your engine after export) to see the actual restrictions you need to impose. Don't use Grome FPS as a reference.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: