www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Tiled terrain export « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
freeman_cit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Tiled terrain export Reply with quote

Hello to all of you.
first here is my project :
I am looking for a tool capable of doing multiple terrain zone editing, capable of making them seemless, with the ability to export the terrain in pieces (3ds or OBJ fileformat, FBX if possible also), with associated textured blended into one for each terrain zone (one texture/meshes).

I have a few question regarding export possibility :
Is it possible to export procedural textures of terrain zone into one texture, along with the terrain zone ?
Is possible to take a world composed of multiple terrainzones, textured and seemless, in Grome, and export it into pieces, with the standard edition ?
(each pieces would be meshes with textures coordinates, smoothing, and ther e would be a single texture associated with each one).
I am an hobbyist, so my budget is limited to the standard version...

thank you, and thx for such a good tools.

Freeman.

Last edited by freeman_cit on Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it possible to export procedural textures of terrain zone into one texture, along with the terrain zone ?
Is possible to take a world composed of multiple terrainzones, textured and seemless, in Grome, and export it into pieces, with the standard edition ?

Yes, the textures (layers colors and masks) are procedurally created but, different than other editors (especially those designed for offline rendering), Grome creates the images that are directly usable by the video card. With the help of the SDK you can export these images to any format you want: dds, png, jpg, sgi, bmp.

By SDK, you can also have access to the texture mapping being used (final or parametric under the format of rotation, spin and tiling) and the shading operations performed between layers.

The SDK comes with various exporters out-of-the-box (with full source code) which can save all these textures and data.

Quote:
(each pieces would be meshes with textures coordinates, smoothing, and ther e would be a single texture associated with each one).
I am an hobbyist, so my budget is limited to the standard version...

The standard edition is limited to 4 zones of maximum 1024 tiles (i.e. 1025 vertices) each. So you can have a terrain of maximum 2048 by 2048 tiles. At export you can break these zones to any number of smaller chunks you want. You can also take their textures and create new, smaller ones for each chunk.

For details please review the SDK documentation from the latest demo release (version 01.08.01).

Regards,
Adrian Licu
freeman_cit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for such a quick and accurate answer.
I'll dig into the documentation, but this tools may be exactly what I need.

Edit : Okay, I took a look at the documentation.
Here are a few thinking : if you feel it's inappropriate, or unjustified, dont hesitate to remove the post.
I understand that dividing terrain in smaller chunk, with a texture chunked the same way is possible, but I will need to code the export plugins. Am I right ?
The export plugins will have to get information (vertices positions, textures mapping coordinates) write meshes in the format needed (for exemple OBJ etc...), and will have to compute and write dds/tga/jpg textures... I also understand that there's no source for any image or model format provided with sdk, so one need to get sources for thoses, or write it by oneself. Creation of an exporter is a quite hard task, and there's no standard exporter provided for geometry (collada only, and without rendered textures support).
I am using Beyond Virtual Game Engine, and I would like to use FBX or OBJ file format, with DDS export.

Moreover, the limitation of 4*4 zone is quite annoying for my project. In fact, I am in the situation where The power of Grome as a "infinite" landscape editor is exactly what I need. But I dont need the "entity/scene editing" side of it.

I got to think about all of this.

Thank you again for your answer. Your software is really impressive.

Regards,
Freeman.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can easily write images to DDS, png, bmp, tga, sgi etc. This is an easy task in the SDK: a call to create the image (NewNode) of a certain type, set its dimensions, bpp and initial color, use PutPixels to set the pixels and call Save (all on iImage interface). You don't have to know the formats. It is all in the SDK.

For FBX and Obj already exists library to write to, so it shouldn'd be too hard to code for that.

Reading and saving scene data is not included only in COLLADA. A simple text exporter is present which was designed especially as an example plugin. It parses and saves all the available scene data: texture layers, their mappings, images, heightmap layers, objects, their link properties, their geometric templates data etc.

Also the OpenSceneGraph exporter saves the entire scene. It is actually a very good example of how to setup OpenGL rendering states (there are similar for DirectX too to render the scene exactly as seen in the editor.

All these exporters come with full source code and they can be used as examples. And to make things easier, for every plugin type, there is a source template with the entire necessary code skeleton, you just need to fill your code where the "TODO" comments are.

The limitations for Standard edition is what makes it "standard", for indie developers. Professional developers that have demanding project will get the professional edition.

Regards,
Adrian Licu
freeman_cit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I understand it better. thank you for thoses informations.
Indeed with the SDK, possibilities are endless...

Freeman.
greedo
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do i export the terrain zones to separate files? Do we have to use the SDK for that as well?
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

What exporter are you using? If you are using text exporter to write the heightmap as 16 bit raw/png you check Export heigtmap as 16 bit raw/png images and then press Options button and choose Create an image for each zone.

If you are using COLLADA exporter, this indeed is using a single dae file for all zones. We can add a new option to output each terrain zone (and the objects on it) to a separate dae file. Let me know if this is important for you and we can add this in the todo list.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: