www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Tiled terrain input « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
CalebLJ
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Tiled terrain input Reply with quote

What is the easiest way to import a terrain that is tiled in (0,1 0,2 0,3 1,0 ,11, etc) format. Should the tiles be set up with matching vertices? I am exporting out of World Machine's Tiled Build.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you refer to tiles as to terrain zones, yes better is to have the zones border match the vertices so no filtering of the heightmap is performed during import.

Regards,
Adrian L.
CalebLJ
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm exporting terrain heightmap files from World Machine which need to line up in Grome. Is there a way to set up my zones in Grome and then import the heightmaps "into" those zones, or do I have to import one at a time and figure out where to put the starting position for each import? Is there a way to move and snap these different heightmaps once they are all imported?
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you cannot move the zones (for now) so, at import time, you need to know where to place your zones. If you have zones in different files and they need multiple imports, you need to know and set the coordinates of the zones centers so they snap after import.

Regards,
Adrian L.
CalebLJ
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, currently I'm importing one tile at a time, using a common number as an offset for each tile while only keeping as many tiles in memory as necessary. A bit tedious but it is working. So far I have over 10kx10k of tiled heightmap in the scene.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively you can write a special import plugin to read the separated files and assemble them into a single scene. For this you need to write your own plugin using the Grome SDK.

To place the zones in the scene, you can have, for example, a simple text file defining their positions (for each zone: file name, zone position). This would make things easier when you have to import the scene again or modify it. You can also have a naming convention for the zones file names (for example Zone_01_01, Zone_01_02 etc) and use that to place the zones in tiles in the scene.

Grome SDK offers you all the flexibility you want because you can have any importing / exporting schema you need.
CalebLJ
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. We'll definitely take a look.

Jump to: