www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Creating a minimap « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
cmusch
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:04 am    Post subject: Creating a minimap Reply with quote

Hi!

I think it woukd be great if it were possible to render the terrain from within a plugin. In the case most interesting to me, this could be an orthogonal top-down view to be used in a minimap, but perhaps more elaborate systems would be useful (e.g. to create a fly-through movie of the terrain)

For the minimap I can do a workaround by manually copying textures according to the layers, or perhaps using the osg plugin example to render a view of the terrain, or using our own engine to do that later on, but I think this would be a worthwhile addition...

regards
chris
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes, this is a very good request (i.e. to be able to render the terrain inside the SDK). This is especially useful to create the baked terrain texture (a single texture with all the terrain layers combined). Some engines and almost all modeling applications don't support rendering of multiple layers of texture. This of course means loosing some texture resolution but it may be acceptable for some.

This future it may be introduced in future version of Grome 1, but for sure it will be present in version 2.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: