www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

a few questions « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Slain
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:49 pm    Post subject: a few questions Reply with quote

Hi Guys,
We are very interested in Grome as a tool, most of our work is visualisation and simulation so at this point I can see a lot of application for a tool such as Grome in our pipeline. However we have a few requirments that we would need to implement, we use speedtree for our tree cover, would it be feasible for us to implement this into grome?? i.e instead of painting your LOD trees we could paint ST's SPT trees?

We also often utilise real elevation data, such as DEM's or DTM's that we then overlay huge raster aerial image sets on top, firstly can Grome use this kind of data? does it have the capacity (or would it be hard to implement) to use geo-referencing?

last of all is our need to do lots of roads,(powelines etc) this in our case takes up way too much time to do at present, I notice you mention this is under development in an earlier post, how long are we talking?

Thanks for the great work guys, it looks very immpressive!

cheers
Jon
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for your kind words.

Quote:
We are very interested in Grome as a tool, most of our work is visualisation and simulation so at this point I can see a lot of application for a tool such as Grome in our pipeline. However we have a few requirments that we would need to implement, we use speedtree for our tree cover, would it be feasible for us to implement this into grome?? i.e instead of painting your LOD trees we could paint ST's SPT trees?

Speed Tree integration is one thing that we’ve been trying to do for some time. The problem for us to directly implement this support lays in the type of license the IDV offers. They don’t offer licenses for integration with other tools. Eventually we will try to persuade them to such a deal but we cannot promise anything for now.

There are some clients that are using Speed Tree and Grome in their pipelines. One simple solution that I’ve saw implemented is to use replacement objects (COLLADA objects for example) with the same name as the Speed Tree templates. Later at export time the scene objects are replaced with references to the Speed Tree templates.

Another solution would be to write a storage plugin so Speed Tree object are read directly (this is how we would have it implemented if we had the proper licensing type). The trees would not be rendered by Speed Tree library and thus will not appear exactly as in the speed tree runtime but as a normal geometry meshes. By storage plugins you can create geometrical objects with 1 or more textures and materials assigned to them.

Quote:
We also often utilise real elevation data, such as DEM's or DTM's that we then overlay huge raster aerial image sets on top, firstly can Grome use this kind of data? does it have the capacity (or would it be hard to implement) to use geo-referencing?

Grome is importing 16bit raw and BT data out of the box. But it is a simple task to build an import plugin. As example you have all the standard plugins source code with the SDK. You also have frameworks for all the plugin types so you can use them as startup for your own plugins by just inserting your custom code.

Quote:
ast of all is our need to do lots of roads,(powelines etc) this in our case takes up way too much time to do at present, I notice you mention this is under development in an earlier post, how long are we talking?

The road system will be present in Grome 2 to appear somewhere at the end of year.

Regards
Adrian L.

Jump to: