www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

shadow generation of object placements « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
zoombapup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: shadow generation of object placements Reply with quote

I almost forgot what I was going to ask.

If you look at something like battlecraft (BF1942 editor) and its big brother for BF2, you'll notice that one of the nice features is a shadow map generator that not only generates shadows for the terrain, but also allows the placed objects (buildings etc) to generate shadows cast onto the terrain also.

I just wondered if you could add a method of generating terrain shadow maps that also baked the static object shadows onto the map?
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The objects should cast shadow on terrain also. If not is probably a bug.
The current shadow map generation needs some improvements (both on quality and speed, maybe some GPU processing here).
zoombapup
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we grab that shadow data as part of a mask texture or some such in the SDK? Or bake it down into a single pass texture?

Just wondering. I havent honesltly looked at the whole thing yet beyond playing at creating some environments.

I really like the program though Laughing
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It turns out that the shadow map was easily representable with the existing layer system. Thus the shadow is represented as any other layer on the terrain, with a very small completely black texture which has a mask that indicates where is visible (where the shadow is visible). So its mask represents the inverse of a normal shadowmap (white where the shadow is full, black where is not visible). Inside the SDK you can have access to all the data (you can save the shadow map or even invert it before saving it).

Jump to: