www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Determining a pipeline « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jaydmax1
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Determining a pipeline Reply with quote

Hey all,

I just purchased the professional version and i am trying to develop a workflow of getting the models out of grome into maya and export from maya into directx to bring into my game engine. The engine i am using is Artificial Studios Reality Engine.

So far i've been sucessful at exporting from grome and i got a Callada import/export plugin for maya that allows me to import the models from grome. The problem im facing has to do with the polycount once in maya, the polycounts are huge. They bring my realitively powerful system to its knees. I tried a reduce poly while in maya, this works to but it creates noticible seams between the zones.

Is there a way to fix this while still in Grome?
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, Max, Maya and other general modeling applications are not suited to represent terrain geometry data. In engines and in specific editing applications (like Grome is) you can apply special LOD algorithms that make the terrain render with good performance.

For your problem, there are multiple approaches you can try:

First and most common is to use a direct export into your engine. Now, for this you can have multiple options. Simplest one is, if your engine supports terrain, you can try to import it as RAW, heightmap files and other simple file formats (if your engine supports importing from these). Another option would be to write your own custom export plugin to directly save into the engine formats. With this option you don’t have to go through Maya.

If you still need to go though Maya, you can try to use a polygon reduction plug-in for Maya but you will loose the grid like structure of the terrain and your engine cannot represent it as a terrain zone but rather like an arbitrary mesh (and this can hurt the in-game performance).

All depends on your engine, if it supports terrain rendering, what LOD is using for terrain, what import capabilities has etc. I gladly help you, if you can provide me with more information about your engine terrain rendering.

Adrian Licu
Quad Software
jaydmax1
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alicu,

Thanks for the speedy response. The engine that i am using does not have any built-in terrain building features, enstead it relys on importing geometry from 3rd party like Max or Maya. It supports LOD and handles terrains buy adding a split mesh deformer to optimize performance. The file formats that the engine excepts are: .XML, .X, and obj.
Initially i was just going to wait until you guys implimented more exporting types in the program, but i am curious how much would it cost to have someone develope a script to export to either of these formats? I am not a programmer so it would be quite difficult to try to do this myself.
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, please send your inquiry to contact@quadsoftware.com and include a detailed description of what you need to be saved (probably both terrain and object instancing), the format descriptions, what engine you are using (maybe the message will not end up at me) etc. If the format is simple the price should be reasonable, but all depends on your requirements. Besides an exporter, maybe we can offer you other solutions, too.
jaydmax1
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick response. I am emailing you guys now.

Jump to: