www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

The Core & Grome SDK « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Amadrias
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: The Core & Grome SDK Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been quite impressed by the videos and I am now downloading the demo version.

I am actually building a team of hobbiest programmers and art designers to create a simple game. We are now at the early stages of defining which kind of game we would like to work on and define the basic game design.

Therefore, I am investigating the web on every single piece of tool, code, art and other similar resources that could help us once the idea is raised.

Based on what I read, it seems that Grome is using The Core engine and I wondered if the SDK was actually The Core itself or an extra layer that allows to control/extend Grome.

Thanks
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grome SDK is indeed an extra layer build on top of the engine and the editor functionality. It will allow you to create editor plug-ins. In the first version the plug-ins would be for import/export scene data, defining objects/materials/images libraries and creating custom scene object entities. Basically it’s what you need to make Grome load, save and render custom formats from other engines. The commercial version will come with some built-in plug-ins for exporting/importing from standard formats (like COLLADA).

In the next versions we plan to extend the SDK so you can write your own tools, extend Grome U.I., its gizmo system and automate tasks. We also plan to release an independent library for outdoor visualization and rendering that is tightly related to Grome workflow and that can be easily integrated into any engine. This library will be licensed per title with full source code.

We also offer under contract customization to the editor so it can be integrated with customer engines/projects: http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=editor_customize

What I want to emphasize here is that Grome is not an engine. It’s a landscape and game world modeling application that is built on top of an engine. We are however offering custom builds for clients because we can take advantage of Grome environment to quickly create ergonomic game creation tools.

Regards,
Adrian Licuriceanu
Grome Development Team Member
lubby
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: SDK features Reply with quote

Hi I would just like to clarify, with the pro version, am I able to use the editor SDK to extend and even add my own custom entity types. This would be managed by allowing access to create new GUI components, toolbars, custom panels with custom fields of type which are already present in the editor (int, float, bool, string 3D/4D vectors and so on) Would it also be possible to extend the current field types?

It looks great how it is now, but i dont see anyway to use it for entity placement and level design. Only terrain creation.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For now you cannot create your own GUI elements and entity types. What you can do with the SDK is to write and read from your formats and create so called utility plugins that are called from the application menu and modify the current scene. With these utility plugins you can create your own terrain modifiers, object creation and instance spawning etc.

In the future versions of the program we will add the possibility to extend the current tools, their UI, to create your own entities behavior, gizmo system etc.

For now you can read from your own entities formats using storage plugins. These entities can be spawn on the map as any geometrical objects, transformed, linked to terrain and then saved during exporting. You will not have direct editing of their custom properties inside the editor (only creation and placement).

We also offer under contract customization of the Grome environment if desired. We can make custom builds that fit with your engine/game.
lubby
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i am sending an email in regards to the custom design. Will it be you that receives it?
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you send it at contact and if it is about technical things (including customizations). Please include a detail description of your engine/game/project needs.

Jump to: