www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Material Layers « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Quantic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Material Layers Reply with quote

Hi,

I watched closely the tutorial on making material layers ,and it seemed very straightforward and easy.

But i think i still have some instability/driver/system problem since half of the time i can't get the layer in use to be added in the maskgen layers.

Selecting it and clicking on the '+' in maskgen layers doesn't work all the times.

Sometimes i can finally get it to be added after changing some preset parameter such as increasing atenuation or slope value into the distribution mask.
Sometime by deleting or and recreating new masks.

Then ,effectivelly pressing + to add the curent material layer will work.

Any idea would be welcomed ,thanks

Phil.A
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

When using MaskGen you can affect material layers with masks (as opposed to those that are simple RGB colors, for those you have ColorGen). So first make sure your layer has a mask. Then mark it in use (red button next to its name). After this you will have it listed in the layers list inside the MaskGen tool (bottom most list).

I think your issues are not related to the driver/system. Probably are related to the operation order.

So, add your distribution masks (can be multiple) by pressing the + button in the distribution masks section of the tool. Then click on one of the distribution mask names to have it selected. Next click on the layer (bellow) to which you want the distribution mask to be assigned, and then press the + button in the layers section. Now you will see your distribution mask listed bellow the layer. Now you can apply your tool.

This may seem complex at first, but it allows you the flexibility to have multiple distribution masks and layers processed at once (e.g. have one distribution that affects a certain slope above a certain altitude and have another that apply on another slope underneath an altitude).

I hope this helps. If you still have issues, maybe you can post a quick video capture of your sequence of operations.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
Quantic
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i got it to work. Of course , that makes sense.

BTW ,is there a way to 'keep connection' between a layer ( be it heightmap or material or else ) and the generating process that's been used to make it ?

I mean, for instance , if you are happy with a terrain generation or a maskgen texturing 'combo' and want to tweak it a little bit afterwise (or regenerate the heightfield into an upsampled tile in the case of a heightfield layer) , you'd want to keep track of the original parameters .

Is saving presets everytime the only way to keep track of the generating process ?

Thanks again.
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes in general you need to save the presets. You can export/load presets with the help of Tools -> Manage Tools Presets from main menu (in case you want to share them with another Grome user).

But we also have a scripting so you can also save your operations (if you do them repeatedly) as scripts and later run them on any zones. Scripting contains tools to be applied, their settings etc. Basically almost everything that you, as an user, can do from UI, can be included in scripts. Unfortunately, up until now, we don't have a macro recording option (as for example it is the case in Photoshop), so one must write his scripts manually.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: