www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Zone grid offset bug + missing presets « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
unvestigate
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Zone grid offset bug + missing presets Reply with quote

Hi,

I have used Grome for about 24 hours now, and I seem to have found a couple of bugs. First of all, I managed to reproduce the case in this thread:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683&highlight=zone+grid+offset

I did it by creating a single 256x256 zone, centered around the world origin. The zone was created successfully, but after that the zone creation grid was offset by 128 units along both x and z axes. Whatever happened to the bug in the other thread? Was it ever found and fixed?

This leads me to the other bug. I was able to reset the grid by running Grome with --reset "config". This fixed the grid but made all built-in presets disappear. This, in turn, was fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling Grome.

Not a huge deal, but I would appreciate if I was able to create single zone terrains without having to go through this sort of hassle again, since my engine works best with single zones currently, and I don't need huge terrains anyway. If I split up the terrain into 4 zones, everything seems to work fine.
unvestigate
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and in case you are wondering, I am running Grome 03.11.03, 64-bit on a Windows 7 machine.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Can you tell me the exact parameters you've used at Create tool? Or best is to show me a series of screenshots with the tool ui and how the zone is after creation?

From what I can remember from that previous bug, that was an old scene created with an older version of Grome which allowed the grid to be biased.

Is your scene created blank? Or did you load some of the sample scenes from site first?

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
unvestigate
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The scene was created from blank, but the bug happened after first creating and saving a scene with a single centered zone, ie. the bug appear when I was creating my second scene. I'll try to repro the bug and give you steps for doing so.

Thanks for the quick replies, btw. Excellent support!
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Ok, thank you, let me know if you find steps to reproduce this on your end.

I've also looked in our support database to see the actual details of the bug reported in the thread you've mentioned and for that user the grid was fixed by resetting the config indeed. That user remembered that he used a Grome 2.0 scene prior to that bug (by loading some of the sample files from site) and created zones on that scene.

Also, you can find the default presets here:
www.quadsoftware.com/storage/DefaultProEdition.presets
Save this file to local disk and then use the presets manager (from Tools menu) to load them.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
unvestigate
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, now when I try to reproduce it I cannot even seem to create a single zone centered at the world origin. If I create a zone with size 256, tile count 256, and have it stretch from (-128,-128) to (128, 128) the editor selects four zones and puts the small blue rectangle in the middle.

Does the editor support creating a single zone centered at the world origin?
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Ok. The blue rectangle shows the area you've indicated at the Create Area. But because the zones have a certain size and number the will go outside the blue rectangle (a normal situation).

The grid always starts with origin in one of the corners. In the previous build we've let the user move the grid at any offset but this created all types of other issues. So instead, if you need a zone to be centered in origin you can easily do that at export (you can create the zone with the corner at origin and this bias at export with half the zone size).

So maybe you've associated the blue rectangle with the position of the zone. Maybe the grid was always correctly centered with one of its cells corner in origin? Let me know if this is the case.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
unvestigate
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly think that the grid itself was offset by 128 since making a single zone that spanned from 0,0 to 128,128 did not touch the world origin at all. Instead, looking at the grid, it looked like it spanned from 128,128 to 256,256.

However, I am unable to reproduce this case now. I am fine with creating four smaller zones right now and merging the result later. I'll let you know if I come up with a way to reproduce the grid offset.

What about presets vanishing when running --reset "config"? Is this intended behavior?
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:
I honestly think that the grid itself was offset by 128 since making a single zone that spanned from 0,0 to 128,128 did not touch the world origin at all. Instead, looking at the grid, it looked like it spanned from 128,128 to 256,256.

However, I am unable to reproduce this case now. I am fine with creating four smaller zones right now and merging the result later. I'll let you know if I come up with a way to reproduce the grid offset.

This I believe is normal behavior. Grid is made of cells and its cells are aligned to the origin (by their corner). In case you ask a zone to be created from 128, 128, then the grid will start from 0,0 and have the cell size of 128, with first cells blank.

Quote:
What about presets vanishing when running --reset "config"? Is this intended behavior?

Yes, since presets can give some of errors that you may want to fix with the reset. Presets can later be restored as described above (with the Presets Manager).

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
unvestigate
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allright, thanks.

Jump to: