www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Import 16 bit height map « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
scrawk
PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Import 16 bit height map Reply with quote

Hey, Im trying to import a 16 bit png file from photoshop into grome using the HmapImport tool.

I saved the file as grayscale 16 bits/channel. When trying to import to grome I click on the source buttton and try and choose the image.
The image shows up as all grey in the file selection window and will not import. I can import 8 bit png and 8 bit bmp files no prob.

Interestingly if I export the height map from grome as a 16 bit png and try and import the same file I have the same problem.
It seems strange the a program cant import the same file it exports.

When selecting the file there is a some info down the bottom. With files imported with no problems this says 4097*4097*1B. But the 16 bit files same 4097*4097*2B. Just a guess but I think grome thinks this file is a two channel 8 bit file instead of a 1 channel 16 bit file? maybe?

Anyway I hope someone can help,. I really need to switch between programs for editing certain things and I need to preserve as much info in the file as possible.

Thanks.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The HMapImporter tool will accept only 8 bit bmp files. I know this is very limited, but the tools was meant only for a quick import (but we may extend it in the future).

In order to import images with 16bit per channel, you need to use a plugin. By default, the Raw importer can import 16bit raw files (you can save your png to raw with programs like Photoshop).

Also Geotiff importer is a good plugin in case you have your heightmap as geotiff (which besides 16bit per channel also has georeference information, the geographical location in real-world coordinates where to place the heightmap). You can save your png to geotiff with programs like Global Mapper.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you still have problems.

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.
scrawk
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks for reply.

Glad to know it can be done. Could you post a link to the plugin?

Hope this feature gets added to next version.

thanks.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The plugins are already present in Grome. You just have to go to File -> Import... Then at the file type select Raw importer. The zones are created by the plugin and filled with the raw data. The plugin tries to guess how big is your raw heightmap. Then you need to specify the range (min and maximum altitude) since raw files don't have height information in the. For more details refer to the plugin help (by pressing the Help button in the plugin dialog).

Regards,
Adrian L.
scrawk
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, thanks found it. Sorry, I thought you meant it was a downloadable plugin. No wonder I couldn't find it!

Very easy to use.

Thanks

Jump to: