www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Interiors « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
lostbetween
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Interiors Reply with quote

I know Grome is a landscaping program, but just wondering what folks are using for interiors and dungeons. Not ready for this yet, but can't hurt to start looking.
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do plan to add dungeon construction tools for Grome but I cannot give you a certain deadline. We also plan to at least introduce more snapping tools when placing objects in Grome (so you can construct complex structures with prefabs).

Grome supports for some time grouping of objects. Also, with next version of the editor, the collada files meshes are automatically grouped so you can develop an entire building in other programs, export it as one collada file and have it placed in Grome all at once.

Maybe other users can give you hints on what to use to create the external meshes. Blender should be decent when creating models, 3DS Max also comes in mind. But I am sure there are other more specialized programs out there.

Regards,
Adrian
lostbetween
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all good news to hear. Yeah I have heard good stuff about 3DMax and then bad stuff about the cost of it heh.

So contructs could be made by placing objects next to each other...walls of rock slabs and such? I assume it would still be subject to the outdoor lighting and shading. Still....thats a start!
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, yes best approach for now is to place objects one next to each other. After that you can group them in order to manipulate the structure as a whole. Lighting would be as for outdoor but Grome is about modeling not about custom lighting (the same can be told about any orher modeler). Games/engines tend to have their own lighting anyway.

Regards,
Adrian
PiOfCube
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ALicu wrote:
We do plan to add dungeon construction tools for Grome but I cannot give you a certain deadline.

Sorry for bringing such an old topic back up but I am currently looking to purchase software for several projects and really like the look of Grome, however, we do need to make interiors. Was the idea of adding support for interiors dropped?

Regards!
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The dangeon system is not yet done and I cannot give you a certain completion date. But Grome is very good working together with external modelers. So if you have need for both indoors and outdoors you can use such a combination. Also there is the possibility to create special modules for you as part of a customized paid project. If interested please drop us an email at contact at quadsoftware.com

Kind Regards,
Adrian Licu
Quadsoftware
PiOfCube
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I will most likely do is create some models of cave entrances and such-like then put a transition inside. I might use something like Voxelogic's Acropora to do the interiors. Though I plan to get the first playable island done before thinking about the interiors so it might be a while before I need to tackle that Wink
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You can easily create cave entries in external programs like 3ds max, maya etc. Then export as collada and place in Grome. Also in Grome you can use "ground holes" layer to indicate where the terrain is completely transparent (just create this layer first, under all the other layers).

Kind Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: