www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Grome Professional Memory Usage « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Grome Professional Memory Usage Reply with quote

I realize this is the Grome Demo category, but it's also a bug reporting forum which is where I think this belongs.

Each time I start up Grome I watch the memory usage. It sits at 80mb before I begin to create a terrain. It can easily get up to 600-800mb depending on the size of a terrain. The problem I am seeing is if I delete the old terrain or 'undo' the operation that created it Grome still hangs on to a significant amount of memory. One would think it would go back to the 80mb of memory usage is now around 117-120mb.

Is this a bug or is Grome holding on to redo information that can be purged somehow?
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, it is a combination of multiple factors.

First, and most important, is the undo data that must be kept in memory. Grome uses a scratch disk to hold undo information but it doesn't hold all of it (some is left in memory).

Then it is about some memory caches that the editor creates only after first terrain is created and it is reuse it for the next data. Also operating system may reserver cached memory for applications (including AGP memory).

The best thing to do, in case you delete all your previous scene, is to reset it by recreating a new scene. In this case all the undo and caches are reset.

I will have a look into it in the next days and see if there is something wrong there.

Thanks
makit3d
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense. I will keep that in mind when I work with Grome. Thank you.

Jump to: