www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Using in conjunction with the C4 engine - question! « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
marlevvll
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Using in conjunction with the C4 engine - question! Reply with quote

Greetings!

I am looking for a terrain editing piece of software and I believe I have landed at the correct place. I am currently pioneering a RPG project with a small team. Grome 2 looks fantastic, and I hope to be a satisfied, future customer Smile

I have a few questions to ask first!

I am using the C4 engine. It is capable of importing 16 RAW terrain files, but I am not sure about importing Grome's texture files. Do you know if they are compatible?

Secondly, I am curious if there is a trial version? The small developer discount is excellent. However, with past experience to speak for, I would not like spending several hundred dollars on a great piece of software that I could not fully use!

Thanks for reading and reply Smile

Blessings,
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I tested some simple maps from Grome into C4. You can find an example here:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416

See the last link in that thread.

This example doesn't use any multiple layers of textures (only one for color and one for lightmap). The texture layers from Grome are baked into one single image to be used in C4. Of course this way you loose some resolution and also you loose the possibility to apply custom orientation for layer textures (to avoid stretching for high degree slopes).

I am not very familiar with the exact implementation of C4 terrain but it should support at least 4 layers of textures with masks. Grome is versatile enough to allow for any configuration of layers so producing an output for the engine should not be a problem. The editor comes with default plugins (and their source code) to export the data into various formats (masks in DDS, PNG, JPG, BMP etc, packed per channels or not, normalized or not etc).

But of course in the demo you cannot test the SDK. For details of an usable SDK version please contact us (use my direct email: "licu at quadsoftware.com") and I think we can find a solution to provide you with full functionality build for a period of time.

Best Regards,
Adrian Licu
Quad Software CTO
marlevvll
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply Smile

Excuse my potential ignorance, as I'm still learning the C4 engine. I believe that C4 no longer supports .png terrain files. It readily imports .tga and .raw files. I saw that exact post, and I have already downloaded it, hoping for it to encourage me. However, because, to my knowledge, it only imports the above 2 file types, I could not manage it to work.

Any thoughts?

I will e-mail you!

Blessings,

Last edited by marlevvll on Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, please email. With the Grome exporters working you will be able to export yourself to any format.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: