www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Zone Creation Crash « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
MikeyUchiha
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Zone Creation Crash Reply with quote

Every time I try to create a 1024 tile resolution times 1 tile with 10x10 zones I crash. I'm trying to create 10 different zones for my MMORPG. Instead of having one large zone.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

You are probably running out of memory. Are you using the 64bit build? How much RAM do you have?

Also, you may consider to create 3 by 3 zones of 1024, swap them out to disk and then create another group of 9 zones. You may need to keep a row of zones at the border so you can snap to them (ALT + S to activate snap).

The next Grome will have a new create tool which let you create zones and send them to swap directly. It will also have a grid to help you snap even though zones are not in memory (but swapped).

Let me know if you can manage to create your zones.

Regards,
Adrian L.
MikeyUchiha
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that's the issue. I'm using 64 bit Grome2 with 4GB of RAM. If never had this problem with any terrain software this is so stupid. I wanted to create a 10kmx10km zone. Now, because of this I can't.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, I see. In few days I will try to send a link to an updated build with the new create tool. This should solve your creation issue.

Nevertheless even after creation when working with the zones, you will not be able to have all zones at once in memory. No program can do that, since there is too much data. Grome has the swap system to accommodate for any size of the map. While games (MMO) are using background loading to load in memory only the zones around the player, Grome, because is an editing application lets you specify what zones to have in memory (swap in) and which of them to be out of memory, to disk (swap out).

Anyway, to create unique zones, each with its own characteristics you will need to manually adjust various parts of maps with different tools and settings. So swapping in and out while you edit should not be a problem. You should keep some common zones in memory so you have smooth transitions.

Until the tool is ready, in the mean time, you can try to create the zones in groups. I will try to send you the link as quick as possible.

Rrgards,
Adrian L
MikeyUchiha
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thank you very much. That's the main issue I'm having using a 1024 x 10 tile zone is the transitions from area to area. If I have zones than I'll be able to just select the zones and adjust those as needed to make the areas transition smoother.

Jump to: