www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Working on a laptop « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Sanitarium_Games
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Working on a laptop Reply with quote

Hello peoples. I'm new to this forum.

I just order a laptop for a fresh computer, and I'm planning on making a video game (When I buy Grome) with it.

I still have the demo with the current computer, tried to learn it with the manual, but man...it's a LONG reading time Shocked

My laptop specs is here...

http://i4u.digitaltrends.com/review4335_specs21684.html

So I guess I'm worrying about the "Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950" part. Well, if you guys read the specs, will the demo and the real Grome work with it?

I think somebody in "User Gallery" said they're using a laptop. If so, it's not that hard to use with the laptop is it?

Thanks

Daniel Williams.
CEO
Lead Writer
Lead Tester
and Lead Level Designer of "Sanitarium Games®"
makit3d
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for the Quad Software team about the specs of Grome, but it would be easy to say you need 2 things.

1. At least 2 gb of memory.
2. A better video card.

The memory should be easy to understand. The video card just isn't up to the task of dealing with large terrains efficiently. It will work but you will discover lag and delays because of it. Keep in mind even a crappy video card will allow for editing, but if you are concerned about production time and deadlines you will want the fastest machine you can get. Sacrifice where you can and go with what will provide the best performance for your money.

If you can get the nVidia chipset you would be better off. Avoid the ATi as I have 2 machines with that brand and I have nothing but problems.

Good luck.
Sanitarium_Games
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has 80GB. So I don't have to worry about that. Very Happy

The video card should be good enough. I'll just wait untill the Grome people posts.

Daniel Williams.
CEO
Lead Writer
Lead Tester
and Lead Level Designer of "Sanitarium Games®"
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

makit3d ment the RAM not the hard disk drive.

I can't imagine, your laptop has 80GB RAM (Random Access Memory). Laughing

If you read the specs, your laptop will come with 1024 MB (1GB) RAM. You will need another one GB.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on a laptop is not much of a problem even for a 3D application (but of course it usually better to use a powerful desktop). Some of the movies you've seen on the site were done on a laptop somewhat similar with your machine. It was a multimedia laptop and the only thing that differentiate it from your was the video card (it had a nVidia 6800).

So the only problem I can see with your configuration would be the video card. Intel are pretty much known to offer poor OpenGL support but I may be wrong in this case. The best thing for you it would be to test the demo and see how it works.

The RAM memory should be enough (1GB, we've used that too). You can also use the Grome built in swap system so RAM shouldn't be a problem. Hard drive also is not a problem.

For information don't hesitate to contact us and we will assist you to better tune your system for Grome.
makit3d
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, everything he said is true. Your laptop will do the job of working with Grome. And, because of it's swap system, you will have greater management of terrain and system resources used than any program of it's type.

However, there is no substitue for having the right equipment. To start I have used the Intel graphics adapter and it is simply not up to the task of doing anything legitimate in 3d. There are always 2 areas you should never go cheap on when doing any commercial work (or personal work for that matter).

1. RAM and,
2. Video Card.

1gb of RAM will do the job well enough. I've used 1.25 gb on my home system and don't have any real issues, but that extra 1gb (I have that on my work system) really makes things run smoother.

Keep this in mind when you get your new laptop. Most likely at least 220mb will be allocated to Windows and various other processes. That leaves 780mb. As soon as you start Grome it will use approximately 75mb before you even begin to create and edit a terrain. This leaves 705mb. Because of the way windows handles memory that entire 705mb will not be all accessible as RAM. Some of it will be placed in swap space (virtual memory). It quite likely that with a modest terrain and adding objects you could easily see most of your available memory being used up.

Consider adding at least another 256mb of ram. Adding more RAM is the best cost effective method of increasing performance.

After experiencing so many problems with video cards lately I can say with a great deal of experience (20 years of building computers) that your video card is simply inadequate. You'll grow to hate it very quickly. The lastest nVidia mobile solutions are actually quite nice. Try to avoid the current mid to low spec ATi cards. There seems to be a great deal of problems with their drivers. I've been experiencing it with various programs both at work and at home with 2 different ATi cards.

Jump to: