www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Anyone working with BigWorld??? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jbh142
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:14 am    Post subject: Anyone working with BigWorld??? Reply with quote

I am having issues importing the terrian heightmap and textures into Bigworld. The heightmaps when imported never come out the proper size
and height. I can't figure out how to get the textures imported into Bigworld.

Any help or techniqes that you are using would be great....
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with BigWorld (I've checked their site and they don't have an evaluation version).

What are you using to import heightmaps? 16bit raw? For this it is important to know the way BigWorld scales the heights during import. You may need to contact BigWorld developers and ask them about the 16 bit raw import process (what is happening when you import a 16bit raw in the range 0-65535 (entire range of 16bit), how to apply a bias and scale to bring it back in the desire original range of the terrain?). In Grome you can see the current scene range by calling the statistics plugin (Utils -> Scene Statistics). The raw exporters will take this floating point 32bit range and scale it to fit 16 bit unsigned short range (0-65535). Then at import you need to bias and scale it back to its original range.

About textures, you need to know what kind of texture splatting Big World supports (most probably only Masked Texture mode from Grome). Then you need to find a way to take the individual exported textures and masks and re-assemble them in the engine. Here you either find a way to import masks and images into their own scene editor or create a Grome plugin (using our SDK) to save directly to BigWorld native terrain format (if their format is available).

I am sorry I cannot give you more specific directions. Most steps depend on their engine implementation and supported formats. They should be able to provide more info about their side of the pipeline.

Regards,
Adrian L.
jbh142
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alicu I'm going to try and get you guys a copy of BW if you think you could use it for future develoment of intergration.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

We will try to contact the BigWorld developers maybe they are interested in a collaboration to offer a kind of official integration for our common users. I cannot guarantee that we can start right away (we are currently preparing some new features) but I hope we can do it soon. Anyway, a copy in hand would allow us to give you more direct hints how to use the current Grome plugins with BigWorld. In case we can provide us with a testing version without any complications or additional costs on your side it would be great. Otherwise maybe it is better for us to directly contact the engine developers.

Regards,
Adrian L.
jbh142
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be great...

Jump to: