www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Best Resolution to use? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jbh142
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 9:24 pm    Post subject: Best Resolution to use? Reply with quote

Currently I am designing a 10k x 10k area with mountians some forest and beaches. This will be for a MMO type game as well.

Whats the best resolution to use for the oceans?
Whats the best resolution to use for mountians?

Currently I was testing zones at 1024x1024 1 meter per tile. WIth 4gb I have notice this is a huge memory hog. So I ordered another 4gb for my computer. I asume I'm going for a much higher resolution thats actually needed.
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

1 meter per tile is a very good (medium to very high) resolution for a MMOS. Usually they have between 2 and 5 meters per tile. Using its custom swap and large amounts of RAM (especially in 64bit) Grome should able to manage this kind of terrain (for 10x10km you will have 10 by 10 zones of 1024 each). Plus if you have a video card with 512 or more video ram and also allocate some more from the AGP (using settings from your computer BIOS) you may be able to have all the zones in memory at once (without the need to use Grome swap).

You many also consider using 20 by 20 zones of 512 instead of 1024, depending on your card it may work better this way.

Also, maybe you may consider 2 or even 4 meters per tile. Even if Grome can handle it, this doesn't mean that your engine can render it without problems. Best is to experiment on the size before committing to one or another and make some serious editing work for it.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: