www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Dual / Quad core support « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Kunztfehler
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Dual / Quad core support Reply with quote

hello

i am currently using the demo version and really considering to buy grome. what i couldnt find though was anything about dual or quadcore support (e.g. shadowmap rendering etc.)

is there anything planned / did i miss it ??

thanks b
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For now Grome works only on a single processor (it will be using only one of the 2, 4 processors you may have) as most of the current applications. Version 2 (planned by the end of year) editing system will allow us to have distributed processing that will be performed on multiple processors at once. I cannot promise for sure that we will have it right from the start of the version 2, but this is a feature we are strongly planning to do in version 2 or subsequent versions / addons. Besides this we also plan to add general processing on the GPU, 64bit version etc.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Finstern
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

I bought Grome 2 few days ago, still learning to use it atm..

I discovered it is only using one of my 4 cores (or 8 if you take in consideration the virtualisation process of intel i7).

I searched about this case and found only this post.

Now, almost 3 year after, what about multi core usage ?
The 64bits support work fine, I'm wondering if the rendering is not a bit slow with my GC (gtx275) but it work.. now I'm working on shadow, trying to get shadow from the tree and .. well it took age to render this shadow with only one core.

May I have missed an option somewhere ?
If not avaiable, will we get it soon ?

Thank you in advance and thank for the tool it's awsome.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, Grome is single threaded now. This type of application is certainly a good candidate for multi-processor systems and we are planning to add such support. I cannot give you a certain date when this will appear (most probably with time, the high-processing tools, will come one by one multi-threading) but for the next version of Grome some tools will have GPGPU support (processing on video card processor to speed things up). We needed first to add the major tools in this next version, after this we will optimize them with multi-processing capabilities.

Regards,
Adrian
Finstern
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I thank you for thoses precisions..

By the way, I tryed to render a shadowlayer with terrain AND mesh selected.. took a very long time but I suppose it's perfectly ok with such a number of vertex selected .. that why I felt a bit disappointed to discover it used only one core for such an intensive calculation work .. I will wait for thoses news versions.

Jump to: