www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Camera Control « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
makit3d
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Camera Control Reply with quote

When zooming into a terrain quite often I have to zoom out and then back in. The problem is as soon as I get near my zones the camera suddenly zooms to a point very far below the zones. I have to zoom a great out before I can see them again.

Is there a setting I am missing which can better control this? I know of the CTRL key setting for the mouse and such, but this seems more like a bug.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that this issue is caused by the sudden drop of framerate when you move near the terrain zones (basically the frame drops from, let's say, 100 to 10 when near the zones and LOD cannot provide less polygons). You usually experience this if you have a low spec processor/video card and you have a relatively high amount of polygons in the scene. While at far distance from zones the LOD is able to provide quite a polygon reduction, when approaching the zones the no of polygons suddenly increases and the camera cannot cope with this change in framerate.

We are looking at various solutions for this. First of all, we will have a quite different and more optimized LOD mechanism for the next version. Also, I will do some tests on low spec machines and try to come up with a solution for camera movement.

For now you can try to set the camera movement to a lower value as you approach the zones. Or you can disable LOD all together and see how it runs (it should give you a constant framerate but this can be too low depending on your machine and scene). You can also choose Live Update for the viewport (which tells the program to render the scene continuously even though you don't change the camera); this may help. Also, don't forget you have zoom extents function (Z by default).

I will do some tests myself and let you know how we can work it out.
makit3d
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use to be a big fan of ATi, but there are so many problems with them lately I've lost my love for their products. Of course, it doesn't help that my machine at work has such a horrible video card.

I had avoided the Live Update thinking it would make the framerates so unusable as to be useless. I will try that and see how it works. The notion that framerates were dropping once I moved closer to the terrain had occurred to me. However, there are many times when I will stop zooming in and rotate the camera to see if the system has locked up.

I realize I have reported this as a bug and each time I get into some of the issues with Grome it turns out to be a product of the low-end video card the mis-informed IT person at work installed on this machine.

At home, on a better system, many of these problems do not occur.

And for those who would question why I would do this on my machine at work I would say it's none of your business and to get a real job. Smile

Jump to: