www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

3d gamestudio export « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Spanish Donkey
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: 3d gamestudio export Reply with quote

hello,
I read the simple export tutorial for 3d Gamestudio.
The tutorial ended with step 9:

"next a shader needs to be added to the terrain, so all the texturing layers are visible"

Which shader is meant with it?
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

3D Gamestudio exporter allows you to save the terrain texture layers in any format you want (you have the configuration files to indicate how the layers should be packed and saved).

On the engine side of things, the user (you) must develop a shader (I think the engine supports DirectX Fx files) that takes these layers and combines them in one or multiple rendering passes. The 3D Gamestudio engine, from what I know, has some simple shaders that do this job (I know that there was at least a shader that was able to take 3 or 4 textures and show them through their masks) already present in the standard packages. I can't remember exactly what this shader name was, the engine developers can provide more information about this.

For someone that knows the engine and the DirectX shading language should be pretty straightforward to define at least a simple shader for 3-4 layers of textures in a single pass. For more complex layers configurations multiple rendering passes effects may be needed.

That being said, you will need someone with the necessarily shading programming skills to do this since the engine doesn't offer a standard out-of-the-box way to this (that is why we've opted for this flexible configuration option for the exporter, so the client can choose its own layering architecture and create its own shaders).

In the future we want to provide some examples of these shaders our selves, but I cannot provide you with a certain date. Nevertheless, I am sure that many existing engine users and the engine developers can already provide you with plenty of information and existing examples.

Let me know if I can help you with any additional information.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: