www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Export formats in Grome2 demo? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Panru2
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Export formats in Grome2 demo? Reply with quote

Hello all,
I've been looking for a landscaping program for an upcoming project and have become rather fond of Grome2. However the export option is disables to i don't know what formats this can crank out so I'm not sure if its of use to me or not. I know it can export Raws, Pngs and other image formats for hightmaps but is it capable of exporting the geometry of the scene as well?(OBJ, FBX, 3Ds, ex...) The hightmaps would be for in game of course but the geometry would be for reference in 3Ds Max when making separate scene objects or concept Videos.

Is there a list of all the formats Grome2 can export?
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Out-of-the-box Grome can export your complete scene geometry in COLLADA format (dae files). 3DS Max, Maya and almost all major 3D packages knows to read and write from this format. The entire scene is exported (terrain, objects, their placements, their textures etc). The only problem is that the terrain layers cannot be represented in COLLADA (since it is not a terrain oriented format). Nevertheless, their textures are exported. And also, if really necessary, you can reassemble the layers in 3DS Max (since the masks and textures are exported) using a FX material. But if you are using terrain only as reference the geometry and first texture is enough. For cutscenes and other renderings you can bake all the layers into one single high res image to be used in Max/Maya etc.

Other formats that save instancing information are the text format (saves in a simple to parse text file), Graphite exporter (saves in an XML) and various engine specialized plugins (Torque, 3DGameStudio).

You can find more about formats here:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=348

Also some examples of formats are here:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416

Collada is among them (see second link, it contains some terrain exported in COLLADA but objects can also be exported). I also believe that you have the help of the plugins in the demo (see chm files in the Plugins folder).

To be noted that Grome also comes with SDK. So you can write your own plugins for importing, exporting, performing scene operations etc.

Let me know if I can provide more information or examples.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.
Quad Software

Jump to: