www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Grome Gone Wild « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
keinmann
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Grome Gone Wild Reply with quote

Grome has gone absolutely batty with bugs on me, out of the blue. Sad

I know you already know it, but the export menu crashes; except for me, it crashes no matter what I try. It only works if I just click export. But then, it doesn't even export, lol.

I'm also having even more whacky problems. Sometimes, I'll try to do a procedural texture with mask generator. I'll have, say, my mountains mapped with rock, and my ground mapped with grass. Then I'll go to do some more detailing, but it will actually reverse my texture layers! The grass will hop onto the mountains, and the rock goes onto the flat ground! :S

Another problem is that when I'm using a brush, sometimes it will just randomly turn off my mouse, freeze for a second, and turn it back on. I know for a fact it's not my hardware (8GB RAM, GTX-275, Quad Processor, and plenty of space). It was also working fine for a long time. These are just a few of the weird experiences I'm having.

I have one theory, but I think there's a hole it. But I'll explain, just in case. I'm participating in the Visual Studio 2010 and .NET framework 4 betas. They warned that it could cause some instability in certain programs, and to be careful (then report any bugs you find). But I don't think GROME is a .NET application (couldn't be?)? Isn't it unmanaged C++? Maybe this even has an effect on native binaries? I'm not sure. I'm strictly a .NET guy, and don't know much about native/'non-CLI' C++. So I'm not sure if this could be the cause.

Hopefully, I can find the culprit here. If it's the new .NET or some other beta components causing the problem, I guess I'll have to hold off on Grome for a bit until I'm done with this testing. Please let me know if you guys have any ideas!
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Grome is native C++, it doesn't use any .NET libraries. But if the beta overwrite some of the native DLL files used by Grome then you may experience these problems. Grome uses VS 2005 and from what I know Microsoft pushed some new VS 2005 files few days ago in the automatic update and many programs experiences some problems with this.

You may try to reinstall the VS redist that come with Grome. You need to go to the Grome install folder and run the redist from Redist directory (there are two versions there, for 32 and 64bit, run both if you have a 64bit system or only 32 otherwise).

Let me know how this turns out.

Regards,
Adrian L.
keinmann
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the swift response, once again. The support here is truly Grade A! Shocked

I think you're right, it did come with bundle upon bundle of C++ files and libraries. So I suppose that could be the source of the problem. I'll let you know what happens after I try this.

P.S.- Is it possible for me to purchase a copy of Grome II on a CD/DVD, even though I've already purchased my license?
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes, please let me know if this fixes the issue. If not, you may try to reinstall Grome (maybe on a new location). I will also try the new visual studio runtime updates next week and see if this creates some problems. We may need to recompile Grome with the latest runtime libs.

And yes you can get a DVD copy of Grome from plimus.com (our online shop provider). Their fee is 11.9 USD per cd. To be noted though that the packaging is pretty minimal (printed cd in a simple cover). We do plan to create our own packaging but I cannot give you an exact date. If you still want to purchase this please send me an email to licu at quadsoftware.com and I will send you a special coupon so you don't have to pay the product price again only the cd (and may be some other small card processing fees involved).

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: