www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Stitching Seams of tiles « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Chaplain
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Stitching Seams of tiles Reply with quote

I realize that seams between tiles are automatically stiched together regardless of resolution. But what do you do if you procedurely generate terrain in only one tile? How do you then cause it to meet the terrain from the neighboring tile.

I am creating a long mountain range through a hilly terrain. I am wanting to procedurally create (fractal mountains) the mountain range but I get the seams of the mountains way above the neighboring hills. I can use the "Smooth" tool but it doesn't quite look right.

Thank You,
Chaplain
Chaplain
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I researched further and think I am getting closer to the problem. It looks like my tiles are not "neighbors." There are red lines between them and the tiles in question.

Is there a "stich" command or something that would connect them?

Also, if I export them would they be stitched together as one object or multiplo objects?

Thank You,
Chaplain
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no stitch command you can use (most probably the zones are biased a little so you will also need to move the zones during stitch to get them together). What you can do, in case you have zones that you need to preserve, is to export and re-import their heightmaps on new zones (using 16bit raw format for example).

Usually is a good idea to use the snap tool when adding new zones (you can activate snap with Edit-> Snap or with ALT + S shortcut). How did you create the zones? By skd, import or by adding them separately in the scene?

When exporting the zones, really depends on what exporter you are using. General exporter can export one big raw with all the zones, while other exporters can save data per zone.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: