www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Tutorials for beginner in map making « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Soth3d
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Tutorials for beginner in map making Reply with quote

Hi,
We are using Quest 3D as a visualisation tool and I am planning to add cool game like environment, but after exporting some trees and stones from LightWave I am more than unhappy from quality of the rendering. Does anyone know good tutorials (video if possible) that will help me to do good 3D world?

I am looking to learn to do something like this:

ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

About the vegetation, I think that both of your screenshots are showing SpeedTree (http://www.speedtree.com/) tree rendering. SpeedTree is a specialized library that lets you render trees for games and 3D simulation software. It comes with a 3D tree cad application (tree editor) and using various mathematical methods lets you easily create procedural trees while the rendering uses special LOD algorithms (like billboards for the leaves).

You can create similar trees either by hand (using 3DSMax, Maya, lightwave etc) or using other specialized software (there are various, including free, software for creating tree, one of them it was a 3DS Max plugin, I will look for links and try to post them here).

Grass, bushes (an even some distance trees seen as billboards) can be easily placed with Grome using detail layers. For this refer to this tutorial:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=Editor/tutorials_vegetlayers

You would also need some level design tutorials (techniques to place objects, create terrain, environments). Mihai our lead artists can help you here.

About rendering in Quest 3D I don't know much. Usually every engine has specific settings for shaders, environments, weather system. You should consult their documentation.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: