www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Licensing Question « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
keinmann
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Licensing Question Reply with quote

Hi, new guy here. I just purchased the "Indy" license for Grome II. Still waiting for the activation (I sent the email to sales@quadsoftware.com). I don't mean to be critical or mean, but I think this sort of activation method is really over-doing it. Confused I understand you have to protect yourselves, but there are much better options, imho. Wink

But that's beside the point. We are a small indy team, and I am the Owner/CEO of the company. So I now own the license for Grome. I think I misinterpreted what I was getting when I bought the Indy license. I was sort of lead to believe it could be used by a team of 5 (since it pricing was determined by the amount of team members, which leads to that honest assumption). But I see now that I was wrong. Embarassed We needed this badly anyway though.

So here's the dilemma. I'm really the programmer and leader of this project. We have a professionally trained game/level designer who is going to do this design work. So what in the world am I installing it for? Well, we're working with Visual3D.NET. I was also offered a position on the Realmware team, which I think is going to work out for me. As you know, support between Grome and V3D is a WIP. So I must gain an understanding of the way Grome works, its exporting/importing functionality, and the SDK (if I'm going to work on this and be able to integrate Grome's awesome power into our project!). So really, I just need a little time to learn how this bad boy works and analyze it. Our designer is still busy with modeling right now, so he doesn't yet need it.

But what happens when my part is done with Grome, and HE then needs to do the design work? Will I be able to uninstall/deactivate my installation of Grome (through Quad Software, and according to any rules), and legally allow him to use the license to do the design work (but I still own it). Just to recant, I mean only HE will use the license at the time Grome is in his possession. Just one person at a time. Is this allowed? And if so, what do we need to do it?

I hope this IS possible, because it will be extremely disappointing if not. We're all working on one, single project together, and I DON'T want to do anything against Grome's TOS or anything that will harm Quad Software. As a developer, I have much respect for other peoples' work, just like I want them to have towards mine. So please give me any information about this possible.

Sorry for the long post, just very curious about this. Thanks for your time!

Aaron
keinmann
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I searched and searched the forums, and one thread may be the answer. From what I gather, this would be handled almost like one purchasing a new computer. You'll have to inform Quad, and let them know you're moving your installation to a new machine. From that thread, it said this is just to ensure that only one machine/team can use the software. I guess that's not so terrible, but less than ideal at the same time. At least I could use the SDK to work on Grome integration with our engine, and will be able to do my part in understanding how Grome operates before I get to that point.

If this is wrong, let me know. I still need a definitive answer. Btw, I'm not complaining about forum "response time". I know everyone has lives, so just answer when you can. Laughing
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes you can move the license at any time with our help. We will provide the link to a small program that does the license deactivation on the old computer. If the old computer is not working anymore, you can still use another computer, we will just deactivate the license from our database (so future updates will not work with it). The deactivation/reactivation is usually a speedy process that takes few hours (no more than a day if we are in a completely different time zone). We understand that our clients need to have their pipeline working continuously so we will try to do our best to ease this activation issues.

Also, for some special cases we can issue to you some temporary license (valid for 20-30 days). This can be another solution for your programmer work which is temporary. We can issue a temporary license for you to create the integration, the plugins etc. Again this is done only in special cases, most of our clients need continuous plugin development so they usually buy separate licenses for artists and programmers.

For any other information, please don't hesitate to email as at contact at quadsoftware.com (or you can use my direct email licu at quadsoftware.com).

Regards,
Adrian L.
keinmann
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's great to hear! I'll certainly email you guys when we're ready to do this. Right now, I'll just be spending a little time getting familiar with the way Grome works, what it can/can't do, and what sort of things will need to be transferred to our engine (and how to best format them to work properly). Once I get a better picture of that, and our designer is ready to begin his work, I'll contact you!

Thanks a lot, and I really like Grome so far! It's amazing!

Aaron

Jump to: