www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Tutorials for new users? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
jigalypuff
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Tutorials for new users? Reply with quote

Are there any, i am using the visual 3d engine and they use grome for their terrains, the results so far are fantastic so i thought I`d try out the demo.
But if i try to make my own terrain it is nigh on impossible.
Regardless of which brush i choose the cursor remains the same, an arrow.
Should it not change into a brush Smile I am unable to begin trying grome out because of this. Any help is much appreciated.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to our community.

There are 5 major layers types that are operated by tools and brushes: heightmaps (terrain geometry), color (terrain textures), selection (selections to restrict operations on heightmaps), water and details (grass and other decoration objects). All the types of layers operate in the same way:

- You have two tabs: Project (contains general information about the layers on the entire scene, operations done here affect the entire scene) and Selection (show only the layers on the currently selected terrain zones).

- Before you can operate on layers you need to select the zones to operate on. Select with CONTROL + mouse left click, CONTROL + A (select all), CONTROL + D (select none), CONTROL + SHIFT + I (invert selection) or select by name/tags.

- Layers need to be assigned to zone before they can be edited. Grome layering system is quite different that what one may expect. Layers are added in the Project tab by pressing the + button. But once a layer is added, it is not necessarily allocated. You need to select a zone (or more) and go to the Select Layer, press the > button (or right click on the layer) and select Assign to Selection. Based on the layer type an assignment dialog may appear.

Why is this necessary? Well, think you have 1000 zones in the scene. Let's talk about texturing for now. There is no point to allocate all the layer for all the zones, they will occupy too much memory. Some zones are of cold climate (mainly snow) some of temperate (mainly grass). You add the following layers: Ground (common to all), Dense Grass, Grass, Snow and Ice. Now temperate zones have Ground and Dense Grass, cold zones have Ground, Snow and Ice. There are zones in-between (to allow for smooth transitions) that have Ground, Grass and Snow. Dense Grass is not present in the cold areas, Ice is not present in temperate at all, simple Grass (less dense) and some Snow are present in these transition zones. Because you have all the layers in this order (from Ground up to Ice which is above) in the global Project tab, the editor knows the exact ordering of layers, even some are missing from some zones.

You select and assign layers to the cold zones (ground, snow, ice), then deselect zones and assign the Ground and Dense Grass to the temperate zones, and last assign the transition layers for the rest. In this way you have the proper layering for each zones, with unnecessary layers not assigned (allocated) per zones that don't need it and with a global ordering of all the layers in the scene.

The same goes for other types of layers. For some zones you may allocate an additional heightmap layer because you need to make only a local adjustment. Same with water (a lake is at a different level, high above in the mountain, than an ocean (usually at level zero) which is on another layer).

- After assignment, you need to make sure you have the layer marked "in use". For this on Selection tab press the Use button. In this way you can have multiple layers on the selected zone but affect only some of them (the one marked in use) with the current brushes and tools.

- After that, just apply the brush on the selected zones. The brush should appear as a circle gizmo on top of terrain surface.

Once you get accustomed with the layering system you will find out that is very powerful. Just make sure you add layer, assign it, mark it in use.

Regards,
Adrian L.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and if you want to find-out the layering basics look at the "Working with layers" (second row of tutorials, that is the 3rd and 4th tutorials) from the tutorials page:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=editor_tutorials

There is a visual explanation on heightmap and selection layers assignment.

Textures are covered on the second page (Procedural Texturing):

http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=editor_tutorials2

The water and vegetation layers are operated in the same way. We are currently preparing tutorials for them.
jigalypuff
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, i`ll give it a go and hopefully have some results to post soon Smile
duke2
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be any Grome 2 video tutorials? The existing ones are great and are what sold me on Grome 1.2 Smile It would be good to see some for Grome 2 and might help generate interest!
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grome 2 tutorials should be ready next week. We will add more and more materials as time goes by. First tutorials will be about water and decoration (vegetation) layers. Then we will go deep into the new tools (flowmaps, fractal gen) details.

In the mean time please don't hesitate to ask any questions. We are more than happy to assist.

Regards,
Adrian L.
RS Digital Studio
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wondering when these tuts will be up, as would love to see them , also having troublw with adding water (getting weird chequer pattern) I know its me not the software but could do with the tuts
Also the roads we can see on the Grome 2 page screenshot showing the red vector for editing the roads where is it?
ALicu
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, the tutorials will be uploaded next week.
Can you post a screenshot about the water problems you have? We have some other users reported this for NVidia Geforce 6 cards.
Road editing are a separate project we've done for a company.

Regards,
Adrian L.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

We've started to upload the new tutorials:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=Editor/tutorials_index

2 new water tutorials are present there. More to come in the next few days.

Regards,
Adrian L.
RS Digital Studio
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the rest of the tutorials coming along?
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will have many of them coming at the beginning of next week. We want to update them in a big batch. Thank you for your patience.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Some of the new tutorials you can find here:
http://www.quadsoftware.com/index.php?m=section&sec=product&subsec=editor&target=Editor/tutorials_vegetlayers

More to come.

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: