www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Grome help linking forces WRONG browser « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Vorgon
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Grome help linking forces WRONG browser Reply with quote

I just found a very anoying problem with grone help. Clicked on Tutorials
and it started IE I NEVER use IE and don't use programs that only work with IE. I use Firefox and have it set to default. I really don't like programs over riding my browser settings. I have been infected several times using IE and won't use it any more. Any programs that disregard my settings and start IE are just inforcing MS's monopoly and I pefer to support companies that support choice and open source such as Firefox and OpenGL over dx.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, I understand this. The problem is the standard HTML help that comes with windows is always using the IE browser (ask Microsoft why Smile. I will try to find a solution but I doubt there is one because the help you are seeing as CHM (in the Grome help window) is displayed with IE engine even though you don't see its caption. Once you press an external link a new window (this time with the complete caption) is triggered and there is no surprise that this is IE's too because it is triggered by the IE browser.
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vorgon you don't really know, how windows works, right? Wink

You can try nLite to completely remove IE from your OS, maybe then you will get those pages in Firefox.
Vorgon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOU can fully remove IE, yes, but not without breaking a lot of stuff as this help file would prove. MS made sure you had to use at least part of their browser for some things so they could force you to keep it. But when I find a program that forces IE when going onto the web, I don't use that program. If I had a choice, no ms software or hardware would be in the house. But since most software is windows only, there is no choice on os.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I understand you. We didn't deliberately choose to use IE for those links, this is the way the help system is done. I personally use Firefox (and used Opera before).

The only solution for now is to right click on that link, choose properties, copy the url and then manually past it in your preferred browser.

In the future we may choose to use other help system but for now we are stuck with this.

Jump to: