www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Spherical maps « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Vorgon
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Spherical maps Reply with quote

I was on a project that has been put on indefinite hold. But one problem run into in finding a terrain editor was that none supported editing on a spherical surface. They all expected flat editing and then wrap the map. I think you can imagine how bad that distorts the map. I was using Leveller and World Machine mostly and used Paint Shop to edit selection mask for Leveller. Mojo worlds does spherical but was not well suited to game use and I found the program to be a bit hard to use.

The project had several land masses but would have included under water travel. So a map of the whole sphere was needed.
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I know some projects have this requirement. But in general games are using planar surfaces of terrain and we've focused on this approach. We will however consider this editing approach if it will be a frequently requested feature (we will try at least to offer tools to spherical map the flat edited terrain to planetary bodies).
Vorgon
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, wraping flat maps works on somethings, but when you want to do, say a moon where you create the whole surface, guess what happens when you wrap it around the sphere. You don't have round craters anymore. And you have a real mess at the poles. Maps that will be curved really need to be created on the curve. The biggest problem I see with implementing it, is a spheres surface doesn't break up into nice little squares. It would be very hard if not impossible to make the points evenly spaced within a given zone.

Jump to: