www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Which Grome to buy « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Chaplaindm
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Which Grome to buy Reply with quote

I am pretty much sold on Grome. I am in the process of creating a 1st person, Oblivion style , ground based RPG. I am looking at the specs. on the standard and professional Grome.

For what I am doing, do I really need the Professional version? I think I will be good as far as the 4 square kilometers. But I am too new to this to really feel comfortable not getting advice.

Thank You,
Chaplain
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and thank you for your interest in Grome.

The obvious limitations of Standard are:
- maximum 4 zones
- maximum 1024 tiles per zone
- maximum number of texture layers: 5

If your world is 4 km wide it means that you can use at maximum 2 by 2 zones of 1024 tiles each, with 2 meters per tile (2 x 1024 x 2 = approx 4 km). A tile is a distance between 2 terrain vertices. This is a good resolution, so from the heightmap point of view you should be ok.

Another limit is the 5 texture layers. This means you can have only 5 textures combined on each terrain zone. You can have different textures from one zone to another. If you are using a lightmap you are occupying the last layer, so you are left with only 4. You must decide if this is enough.

Also, standard doesn't have vertical mapping. If your engine supports this (or it can be added) this is a great feature that allows non-stretching textures on high slopes.

Advance fractals is also an important missing feature but you can leave without it. Of course, with advance fractals you can create more variate terrain:

http://www.quadsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=105

All these are made with Professional edition. Standard edition has fractals but has only the common ones: for normal mountains, dunes and hills.

My opinion is to go with Standard at first. Get to know it, find its limits and then if you decide, you can upgrade to Professional (you can do that at any time and you only have to pay the price difference).

Regards,
Adrian L.
Quad Software

Jump to: