www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

How dynamic is the world made with grome? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: How dynamic is the world made with grome? Reply with quote

I don't know, if the title is understandable...

What I want to ask is the following:

I build a terrain with Grome.
I place trees, houses and other objects in the world.
I load the world into my engine.

Can i interact with the placed objects? For example can I cut a tree, which then disappears?

I mean, can be the objects recognized by the engine as an object (if my engine can handle this) or it's everything just terrain?

I mean by "just terrain", that Grome makes a model with everything loaded and it is one single fixed and static "image" of the scene or are the terrain and all other models different objects?

Can I use Grome as a world building tool, or is it just a terrain editor?

I hope, you understand what I am trying to ask Rolling Eyes Laughing

Sorry If I ask stupid questions, but I don't know much about such things.
ALicu
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grome is not only a landscape editor. It is more like a level editor. You can create the terrain but also place objects on the terrain and link them to the terrain surface so they react at terrain modifications.

All these objects come from external resources you browse with Package Browser and choose. Once you place an object on the terrain an instance of it is created. You can freely move these instances at any time, delete them and recreate others. When multiple instances of the same object are created the object itself is not duplicated, it is only a template that is used multiple times to render the same object in different positions in the world.

To be noted that these 3d models are not created inside Grome. They are created in other modeling applications (like 3ds Max, Maya etc). In Grome you can only load them and create instances of them all over the map. These objects will be on the disk on various paths and you can use Package Browser to organize these paths in libraries and browse them. To be noted that Grome will not load all the objects from these libraries, only the ones used in the scene (it has a resource manager so it keeps track of all needed resources at any time). Another resource management feature is the Resource Locator. This will help you relocate resources (objects, images etc) when you move them to other paths on the disk.

Once you load a scene into your engine the same template-instance mechanism is applied: the template is loaded only once and you have information from the saved scene where to place its instances. You can then apply gameplay to them (for example: apply physics to drop down instances of trees). Now, all these gameplay operations depend on your engine.

From the exported scene data you will have access to all the instancing information (where the instances are placed, what templates are used, their linking properties with the terrain etc). You will use the Grome SDK to write your own export plug-in so you save the scene to a file format your engine understands. The SDK will come with examples (with full source code) and comprehensive documentation so shouldn’t be hard to write an export plug-in if you are a programmer. To be noted that Grome will come with support for some well known libraries (like Open Scene Graph) and with time more and more integrations with well known engines will be available.

This SDK can also be used to load the various formats of geometry templates in Grome. Grome will come with some plug-in itself, but if you want, for example, to load your 3d object formats (the ones understood by your engine) you need to create a format plug-in.

Phew! Long post but I hope this helps you create an idea about the Grome workflow.
Hunnenkoenig
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick reply.

Now I understand everything. That's what I wanted to know. The magic sentence was "It is more like a level editor" Laughing

I was just afraid that Grome makes one huge "instance" with everything in the scene, which becomes static and unchangeable in the engine.

Jump to: