www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

automatically add a Texture to an area « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Geovis
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: automatically add a Texture to an area Reply with quote

I need to build a map after a real life szene, with often changing textures.

1. I want to add same texturetypes (e.g. type1 = grassland; type 2 = forest...) to different areas, which are spread all over the map (20x20 zones). The areas are lying within different zones and are mostly a lot smaller than a whole zone

I got some digitised and categorised Landcover-Data e.g. forest, field, grassland...
a. --> Is there a way to import that data (via vectors/ mask/...) and then automatically add the different textures to the appropriated areas ?

or if that doesn`t work

b. --> Is there a way to mark areas all over the map and then asign a certain type of texture to all the marked areas.

or

c --> Is there any other way then brushing the textures individually ?

Is it possible to to anything like this with 3d-Objects (like trees) ?

thanks for any answers
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

With version 1.3 (coming out in about 1-1.5 months) you will be able to place processing on shapefile defined areas. Shapefiles (.shp) are standard format many other programs can create (example: GeoMapper) and are georeferenced (they identified by real-life N-E locations). Processing can be represented by scripts which basically can contain any operations (not only terrain geometry modifiers but also texturing). So you will be able to use polygonal shapes to determine where you want certain sets of textures to be applied.

We've used such a system for a client in the simulation industry to create high resolution terrain geometry and texturing from low res satellite data. Using shapefile identifying coverage areas for deserts, trees, muddy areas, roads etc. we were able to automatically apply tool presets. We've created a plugin to take all the shape files and apply scripts in certain order. The good part is that you can apply these scripts on very large zones of terrain, don't matter if they are swapped out from memory or not, without any user intervention (our task was to create realistic looking terrain for regions covering entire countries).

If you are interested in this approach, please don't hesitate to contact me (licu at quadsoftware.com). I will be more than happy to provide more details.

I also think a similar approach can be used for objects (since in the Grome processing scripts you can code tools creating objects: ObjectSpawn or ObjectBrush).

Regards,
Adrian L.

Jump to: