www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

How to load Terrain created in Grome using XNA? « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
lbmurali
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: How to load Terrain created in Grome using XNA? Reply with quote

Can anyone one let me know how can i load a terrain created in Grome Editor using XNA framework and C#?

Thanks a lot in advance.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello and welcome to our forums.

XNA is just a rendering library, doesn't have direct support for terrains. You need to create your own terrain file formats, process (using an XNA content processor) and transform it in render data inside the PC/Xbox.

First to load the data, you can write your own Grome plug-in to save data into your custom format or use one of the existing plugins (load heightmap information from 16bit RAW or 16bit PNG, load the terrain images from PNG, BMP, JPG, DDS or other image format Grome out-of-the-box plugins save to). If you decide to use your format, you need to use the Grome SDK which comes with the Grome build (you have the SDK help into the demo) and need to write code in C++. If you decide to use the existing plugins, you just create a XNA content processor to take the initial exported data and create the run-time vertex buffers and textures.

After loading data you need to render it. Because this data refers to terrain (which is very large, has a lots of polygons etc) you need to implement special terrain visibility algorithms. I think there are plenty .NET terrain renderers out there (I remember seeing a chunked lod implementation).

I didn't work directly with XNA terrains but I know that there are some of our users which use Grome together with this framework. Maybe they can provide more information. In any case, I know C# and the XNA framework and I can provide some support in case you get stuck.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Quad Software

Jump to: