www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Overhangs and such... « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
tvvladimir
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:01 am    Post subject: voxel terrain Reply with quote

This is teh most important feature that I look into. For building huge terrains that look realisticly this is somehting that I really need. That is why I went to Blender; it allows you that. But Blender is shit at making terrains in general; no comfortable gui for that. Anyways i also think this is most important feature. p.s. I've heard Visual3D engine is going to make voxel terrains soon after they have permament version out. They r trying to get their engient o be as good as Crysis engine.
makit3d
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be excellent if they could pull it off. However, it's not just the engine that makes Crytek 2.0 great, but the Sandbox editor, too. I just wish every game manufacturer that released tools would use the same concept as Crytek; an editor that is an inherent part of the engine.
tvvladimir
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: hehe Reply with quote

Actually apparently it is not a hard job to make it. Apparently the voxel terrains appeared many times in 90's games but was no popular back then. I think they could add teh following feature: choose: have the 'zone' in Grome to be voxel or non-voxel. That way they don't have to change technology but add aditional change and it wouldn't take much data space.

I think for now it would be nice to make a plugin that just creates meshes inside Grome, which can be quickly modified and added right in 3d view and textured the same way the heighmap is done in. That way you don't have to go back to your modelling program and just create the world without going to another program. I'm not a designer or programmer, and i dont have much free time; so far i'm trying to find best solution to create 3d without having many applications. For now I think best solution is to use Blender for me; it has game engine; animation, object creation, and its only the terrain that I lack. The programming part is not even needed in Blender; its all done without knowledge of programming; i just add scripts i find online or make logic blocks.
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem that I see with voxels is to have procedural generations algorithms. While for regular grids there is a lot of research already going on for years, realistic looking 3D voxel generation is still in its infancy.

Jump to: