www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

Assigning Properties « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Assigning Properties Reply with quote

Hi, when I place an object into Grome, and assigned a Property to it, is there any way for the ObjectBrush or ObjectSpawn to place instances of that object-with-Property thereafter?

Currently my only workaround for this is to place all the instances of the object first, then selecting them all and assigning the Property at a go. This isn't efficient in the long run because it means I need to do this everytime I add new objects in the future.
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, for now there is no method to create objects with property tables assigned to them (you need to manually assign them as you've described). An immediate solution would be to create an utility plugin that when called from the menu will assign a certain property table to all the objects which don't already contain it.

Indeed it is a good idea to have options in the ObjectSpawn and ObjectBrush UI to add default property tables to be assigned to the created instances. I will have it added in the to-do list so it will make its way into a future build.

Also, to be noted that when you clone the instance (use translation tool and while mouse dragging hold ALT key pressed) you also clone their property tables (so you can have an instance with props assigned and then clone it on the map).

Regards,
Adrian L.
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alicu, thanks as always for your prompt answers Very Happy Good to know that it's added to the list, I'll ask my colleagues to explore this option of an utility plug-in. Also, we'd probably need a better way to manage the Properties in the future, such as a Select by Property option for example.
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Advance Search / Select function is also planned for the future. I think it is useful to have features like search only objects (not terrain), search with polygons number > N, search by name with wild characters (example: obj**t) and, of course, search entities with a certain value for a property.

Property tables are a powerful feature and we've introduced this, not long time ago, with version 1.2. We are still a long way until we can say we fully benefit from them (there are many ways to use them in a very useful way).

Regards,
Adrian L.
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are really good ideas you have there for the Advanced Search, perhaps you also also search by object count as well? I think it'd be especially useful if you could choose to limit the search within selected zones. Cool

Jump to: