www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

UV Units Offset « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: UV Units Offset Reply with quote

Hi, I've been testing Grome out for 2 weeks now and I've found it to be an extremely versatile and well designed tool for terrain creation. I understand that as a relatively new product, there's not a lot of documentation on it. So I'm glad to see that this forum is so actively tended to by the Moderators.

Currently, I'm trying to understand the UV mapping system of Grome. I created a 1024x1024pixel template to map onto a zone with the following specs:

256 x 256 tiles
128 units per tile ( 2.56m in the real world )

On the Color layer, I set the 1024x1024pixel template to tile 1x1 ( thereby filling up the entire zone once ).

All's fine until I started playing with the Offset feature. My question is, what are the "Units" here?

When I entered 500 units, the template shifted exactly by half ( 512 pixels ).

At first I thought it to be the same units as the tiles, but when I entered 128units ( 1 tile ), the template shifted by almost 1/8 ( almost 32 tiles ).

I'd appreciate it if anyone has the answer! Hope I was clear enough in describing the question...

Wink
ALicu
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm really glad you like our program.

Offset units may seem a little strange at first. They are basically tiling offsets multiply with 1000 to offer greater control (for you to be able to shift the texture very slightly if you want to). So basically in your case (with no tiling, that is U = V = 1), 1000 offset means shifting the texture right with the texture size, 500 means shifting by half.

If the offset was not multiplied with 1000, 1 would mean offset with the entire texture and 0.5 with half. But if you wanted to shift it only a little (which is mostly the case since you mainly want to use the offset to match features between zones or with objects on top of the terrain) it would be hard since you had to enter something like 0.001. That's why in the UI it is better to use bigger numbers. This should be documented in the help, i have to check that.

Another example: if you have tiling 2 (u=v=2) and enter 1000 you will have the entire texturing shifted with half (we shift with one texture tile but because you have it tiled twice, a tile account for half the terrain zone).

Also, many people confuse terrain heightmap tile (which is the distance between two vertices) with the texturing tile (U, V repetition).

To be noted that in the SDK you have the smaller number version (without the 1000 multiply) reported by the functions.

Best Regards,
Adrian L.
Jaggedge
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ALicu, for the prompt and detailed reply Smile

I understand what you're saying, it does make more sense to have bigger numbers, I guess I'm just used to other programs using decimal places and also I was somewhat misled by the "units" terminology at the side. Perhaps removing it, or changing it to "tile" or "mult" might be better? Just a suggestion Smile

Thanks again for the explanation!

Jump to: