www.quadsoftware.com
FAQ  FAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist  Memberlist   Usergroups  Usergroups
Register  ::  Log in Log in to check your private messages

change view « View previous topic :: View next topic » 
Sparticus
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: change view Reply with quote

How do you change how you are viewing the scene so you don't see the sky and other items that lie behind what you are looking at ?
ALicu
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change various settings:

- Sky on / off
- Fog on / off
- What status is written on the viewport (FPS, position etc)

All are per viewport and can be changed in 2 modes:

- Click on one of the viewport buttons in the right up corner (the right most one). Select the appropriate options (from Rendering) from the drop down menu. This will change the settings for the current viewport.

- Goto preferences, Viewports and select how viewports appear by default (when a new scene is created). All newly created scenes will have that configuration (that no of viewports, each with the selected options). To apply the settings to the current scene press "Apply to all" button.

These settings are saved with each scene, so when a new map is loaded it will restore its viewport settings.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Sparticus
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looked at the suggested items and don't believe they apply to my question. Look at the below screenshot and notice how you can see through the hills....
ALicu
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, in this case it must be that your texture layers masks are not completely opaque (their sum doesn't add up to completely opaque). May be the way you've selected the parameters and MaskGen tool. Or it can be a shader rendering bug for your particular video card. Can you send me the map to test it (you can use licu at quadsoftware.com email address or, if the scene is too big, let me know and I will sent you a FTP account to use).
Sparticus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll need an FTP site, as it is quite large.
Sparticus
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering how the masks could be opaque ? I'm using the masks that came with the program...? And am not noticing any settings that change opacity ?

Thanks for the help Smile
ALicu
PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will send you a FTP login account on your email.

The masks are the one you create with maskgen or mask brush tools. The tiling textures that come with the program are seen thru these masks, one on top of each other. If for example you have only one layer and you use a grass texture and create a gray mask (50%, not completely white) the grass will be seen at 50%, the rest is the background (and the layer appear partially transparent). Usually the first (bottom most) layer has a completely white mask so if layers from above are not completely opaque, this last layer, from the bottom, is seen.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Sparticus
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So i added a white mask and stuck it at the bottom of the stack and that seems to have addressed the problem. Thanks for your help.
ALicu
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is a fix (since you now have the bottom layer visible where the terrain was previously transparent). When using MaskGen you usually apply the distribution masks in a way that will produce opaque final terrain from the combination of all the layers:

Example:

- we have only two layers: ground and snow
- add two distribution masks:
- 1. ground from 0 to 1000 meters with 100 m attenuation
- 2. snow from 1100 meters and above with 100 m attenuation

So under 1000 you have full ground, above 1100 you have full snow, while between 1000 and 1100 you have a gradient from ground to snow but their sum is also 100% opaque.

Of course, to not complicate things, you can have ground layer first, over the entire map (you can use only 1 pixel completely white for the mask to save memory). Then have snow above, applied with a single distribution mask, with the same parameters as above. The result will be the same, but having a completely opaque base layer will free you for worrying about transparency.

Regards,
Adrian L.
Sparticus
PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This was very helpful. Thank you much !

Jump to: